Size is everything!
Yesterday morning, my boys learnt a valuable lesson.
They wanted to get themselves breakfast and, after an exhausting week, I thought “Why not!”
Well actually there were several reasons why not, but the seducing thought of a lie-in over-ruled them all!
Some time later, I went downstairs expecting a scene of carnage but, give them their dues, it wasn’t too bad.
What I did find was 2 very large bowls of half-eaten muesli.
Simple mistake to make.
They’d chosen very large bowls and filled them to the same level as I fill to in smaller crockery.
Thankfully, they’re still at the stage where they listen to their body telling them they’re full….hence a large amount of wasted food.
We all have this hormonal trigger to tell us when we’re full, but
– our larger portion sizes (“would you like to Supersize that?),
– all you can eat restaurants and
– culture of eating whilst doing other activities
amongst other things starts to override this natural signalling mechanism.
Result: we eat more than we need, gain weight and carry a higher percentage of fat.
What can we learn from the simple mistake my boys made:
– choose your portion size carefully
– be aware of the effect the size of your crockery can have on the amount you eat
– eat and drink mindfully – focus on what you are consuming (rather than the TV, tablet or phone).
Smell it, taste it, chew it, enjoy it.
– Stop before you have that “I’m full” feeling.
Hope this helps!